Realizing the need for Higher Education to the rural, the local educationists and philanthropists decided to start Sri Sharada College at Basrur village kundapur taluk. They constituted a trust named “Sri Sharada College Trust”.It was registered on 18th March,1972 under Society Registration act at sub-Registration office, kundapur.
Founder Trustees were: Sri B.V.Bhandary (the president), Sri H.V.Kamath(the vice president), Sri B.V.R.Hegde(the trustee),Sri S.P.Tholar, Dr.H. Shantharam, Dr.B.B.Hegde, Sri B.S.Jagannath Shetty, was the Trustees. Prof.S.Shivaram shetty was the founder Secretary.
During 1972-73 the College started with 1st & 2nd year Pre-University classes with Arts & commerce Section. On the very next year i.e. during 1973-74, the College was up-graded to impart under-graduate B.A & B.Com degree education affiliated to Mysore University. Swamiji of Sri Kashi math Samsthan leased 4 acres of land. Sri.B.V.R.Hegde,Sri Ramakrishnayya, had also donated land to construct College landing. Dharmadhikari Sri Virendra Heggade Dharmasthala inaugurated the College building.
The P.U.College was admitted to grant in the very year of inception and Degree College was admitted to grant, after 3 years i.e. during 1976-77. Prof.S.S.Shivaram Shetty was the founder Principal.
During 1979-80,the two Colleges were merged and became composite Degree College. Mangalore University granted permanent affiliation to the College during 1988-89. The College has been admitted under sec.2(f) and 12 B of UGC Act.
During 1996-97 the College celebrated “Silver Jubilee” with useful programs .The College in an esteemed Institution of Higher Studies, providing education to rural youths, irrespective of caste, creed and sex with knowledge and skills required to the challenges of modern world. The peer Team of NAAC assessed the College and accredited B+ grade in 2004 .It has been reaccredited by the NAAC in the academic year 2010-11. The founders of the college that no education in worth the name, if the instruction in various disciplines are not accompanied by proper shaping of character. Moral and spiritual camps being held in the beginning of every a academic year, inaugurated by Sri Swamiji of Sri Ramakrishna Math, Mangalore to create good moral and cultured atmosphere in the students community.
From the academic year 2009-10 a new undergraduate programme B.B.M. is introduced. Since 2008-09 four add on certificate courses in Basic Accountancy Consumer Rights, Yakshagana and Spoken English have been introduced. Free Sanskrit classes are conducted in the College to enable the students to appear Sanskrit Certificate examination. Apart from this, there is free computer certificate course to all first year and second year students. Diploma and PG Diploma in Computer Education, Computer Kids Courses are offered to the public and students in the campus as per the agreement with Keonics Yuva.Com.
The number of faculty having Ph.D is increased to three as against one in 2004. At present there are five M.Phil Degree holders in the faculty. Two others are pursuing Ph.D and one is pursuing M.Phil programme. All the faculty members attend international/national/state level seminar/workshops.
Three research projects were completed by the faculty and there two UGC sponsored projects are ongoing. Besides, students are also engaged in small projects and their total number is 8. The faculty published 11 books and 10 research articles in journals. Apart from this there are number of other small publications. There is one independent publication of the periodical.
College organized the following seminars/workshops:
UGC sponsored two day National Seminar on Democracy, Development and Marginal Groups. The seminar is attended by nine resource persons and 201 delegates from different parts of the country. In all 17 papers were presented by the participants.
Third National Conference of Karnataka Darshana Parishad held at Udupi. The Conference was attended by 8 resource persons and 150 delegates. 22 papers were presented in the conference.
Three day State Level workshop on ‘Social Research’ in association with Kannada University Hampi. The workshop was participated by 8 resource persons and 50 participants.
One day Sate Level Seminar on “Social Science and our Culture” in April 2011
A year long Consumer Festival was organized in 2005-06 with the assistance of Ministry of Consumer Affairs and Food and Civil Supplies, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
Series of programmes organized in this connection are:
- Workshop on Consumer Rights Awareness for High-School Teachers and students of the Taluk on 27-08-2005.
- University Level Essay, Elocution, Slogan Writing and Drawing Competitions for College students on 24-09-2005 on consumer rights
- Quiz Competition for college students at university level.
- Quiz competition for pre-university students-district level.
- Workshop for the members of Self Help Group and Stri Shakthi Groups of Kundapur taluk on Consumer Awareness and Rights on 24-12-2005.
- An Exhibition and Consumer Fair relating to Consumer articles and Consumer Awareness The College organized Regional workshops on Literary works, Bhavageethe, Folk songs, Folklore Museum, Historical Sources and Epigraphy, Protection of Cultural and Historical heritage.
- Mangalore University Student Literary Conference was held in 2006-07.
- Mangalore University Inter Collegiate Wrestling Tournament for men and women was organized in 2009.
- Three Inter Collegiate Competitions in Devotional Songs and Folk Song were organized.
Retired Teaching Staff :
1. Prof.Sri.B.Vasudeva Verna (Kannada Reader)
2. Prof.S.Shivaram Shetty (Principal & HOD of History
3. Prof.J.M.Chooracken (English Reader)
4. Prof.Ganapayya Shetty (Principal & HOD of commerce)
5. Prof.Leelamani (HOD of Hindi)
6. Prof.S.M.Shanbhogue (Sl-Gd.Physical Director)
7. Prof.N.K.Kurien (HOD Commerce)
8. Prof.K.Shanker Joisa (HOD of Economics)
9. Prof. Vasudev Rao (Dpt. of Commerce)
10. Dr Vadiraja Bhat (HOD Kannada)
11. Prof. Leelamma K.J. (HOD Polytical Science)
12. Dr. Shreedhara Uppoora (HOD Kannada)
13. Major H. Jagadeesh (HOD Commerce and Management)
14. M. Chandraprabha R. Hegde (Principal Grade-1)
15. K. Chandrashekar Shetty (Associate Professor, Dept of History)